When handled properly, mediation has a high success rate of resolutions. Bozanian McGregor offers mediation services to those who are going through a divorce. Mediation allows divorcing couples to resolve divorce matters, including child custody, division of property, alimony, and parenting time. Our expert and experienced mediators will help both parties negotiate their issues and reach an agreeable resolution that benefits the couple and any children involved.
Although litigated divorce is the most traditional route for divorcing couples, there are alternatives that can reduce the stress and better the outcome. Mediation is a form of alternate dispute resolution where a neutral third party, the mediator, helps the parties discuss and resolve their dispute. The mediator does not decide on a resolution for the parties but instead helps the parties reach a mutually acceptable agreement. Mediation allows divorcing couples to resolve divorce matters, including child custody, division of property, alimony, and parenting time.
Benefits of Mediation
Resolving divorce matters through mediation instead of litigation can be mutually beneficial to both parties and has many other benefits.
- Reduce Stress: Going through a divorce is one of the most stressful and emotionally draining times in a person’s life. Mediation helps relieve some of the stress by cutting down on costs and eliminating an emotionally taxing and time-consuming trial. Since both parties have a say and must agree to the resolution, it can remove some worry surrounding the division of marital assets and child custody agreements when having a mediator involved.
- Greater Control of Outcome: With mediation, both parties have more control over the outcome because they negotiate their own agreement. In court, parties must accept the judgment made, which often leads to dissatisfaction of one or both parties. The parties instead can voice their opinions on the division of marital assets and child custody to reach a mutually agreed-upon resolution. With litigation, a judge would make these decisions, and the divorcing couple must accept their judgment. Agreements can be completely customized to fit both parties’ interests in divorce mediation.
- Relationship Preservation: In divorce cases with children involved, it is best to keep an amicable long-term relationship between the divorcing parties. Traditional litigation can often strain these relationships, making it hard to co-parent and can be detrimental to the children. Mediation can preserve these relationships since mediated settlements can peacefully address both parties’ interests and come to an agreeable solution in the children’s and parent’s best interest.
- Faster Resolutions: Divorce litigation and trials are often delayed and can drag out for years. Mediation can expedite the resolution, which benefits all parties involved.
- Reduced Cost: The traditional litigation process often has high and unpredictable costs, on top of any alimony or child support each party may be required to pay. Mediation services can decrease the costs of resolving a dispute, as costs are significantly reduced from settling through the court.
When handled properly, mediation has a high success rate of resolutions. Bozanian McGregor offers mediation services to those who are going through a divorce. Our expert and experienced mediators will help both parties negotiate their issues and reach an agreeable resolution that benefits the couple and any children involved. Contact us today at (201) 947-1500.